IDS Skincare

Beauty In A Pill
IDS Skincare, 07 June 2018

Should you make “you are what you eat” your inner well-being mantra?

Why are oral supplements necessary? It is because ‘even the healthiest diet cannot provide the body with everything it needs,’ says world-renowned, board-certified dermatologist Dr Howard Murad. ‘Supplements ensure optimal nutrition by topping you up with the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs.’ On top of sleep and exercise, diet has a huge impact on your skin because topical skincare products address only 20% of the skin’s surface. The other 80% of your skin is affected by what you eat and drink. Although Dr YX Lum, medical professional at IDS Clinic, doesn’t think that we are what we eat because she admits to eating “a lot of rubbish” herself, she however supplements her diet with “glutathione, pine bark and vitamins to boost immunity in heath and the skin. There are only benefits to be reaped so it is a good investment.”


The bad news that nobody wants to hear is that from mid 20s, the body starts to slow down and doesn’t make collagen and elastin as efficiently as before. Signs of ageing like fine lines and sagging can become more apparent and free-radical damage can result in dark spots and hyperpigmentation, giving the skin a more aged appearance if care is not properly addressed. As such, the market for oral skin supplements has since burgeoned. But trying to find the ones that work is like looking for a needle in a haystack.


Nobody enjoys popping pills though some have no problem with it. If popping a pill or three daily sounds like a plan destined to fail, perhaps it’s time to rethink about those capsules – for the sake of your health and skin. There are two main kinds of supplements – one for skin brightening and another for anti-aging. However, medical experts explain that if you’ve been popping beauty pills but are not seeing significant effects on your complexion, it could be because your body needs the nutrients in the supplements for other more pressing situations. So instead of improving skin appearance, the supplements might be going to support your immune system, which your body prioritizes – and rightly so.


If you’re looking for an oral skin supplement with overall health benefits, then consider IDS Skincare Lyco-White (LW). This supplement is an oral agent that offers high sun protection, prevents free-radical damage, skin pigmentation and a host of other health benefits.



What makes the Lyco-White Oral Skin Supplement so unique?

It’s one of the first food supplements in the world to offer benefits for the skin from a unique breed of non-genetically modified white tomatoes – Phytofloral® which contains patented colorless carotenoids comprising Phytoene and Phytofluene, known to lighten and even the skin tone by inhibiting melanin production, provide UVA and UVB protection, as well as for their anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant capabilities. These carotenoids have been shown to possess outstanding photo-protection capacity that is built into the skin from within.


The other active ingredients include Polypodium Leucotomos, a plant extract shown to be an “oral sunscreen”, a complete chemo-photoprotective agent that offer significant protection against UV radiation. BioPerine, a patented standardized extract containing Piperine that is obtained from black pepper. It is clinically proven to enhance bioavailability or intenstinal absorption of active ingredients. Finally, it also has Curcumin extract (Curcumin C3 Complex), another ingredient patented for its unique composition ratio and use. Research shows that the compound is best known as a ‘super anti-oxidant’, providing optimal protection and integrity to biological systems.


How does L-W compare to its competitors?

Compared to its closest competitor, the content of the active ingredients – Phytoene and Phytofluene – found in our Phytofloral complex is at a higher concentration at 1,000mg, versus 800mg, per dose daily.


What other health benefits does L-W boast?

Tomato extracts (Phytoene and Phytofluene) are particularly potent in their anti-oxidant actions, and there are numerous research articles that attest to that. Potent anti-oxidants are also known for their beneficial effects on most organ systems in the body as oxidative processes, in general, damage tissue. It also supports eye health, boosts the body’s cancer-fighting abilities, as well as reducing and preventing prostate problems.


What’s the recommended dosage for visible results?

Daily dose of 3 capsules will have to be taken regularly for at least a month to see results, though some people may see a visible difference sooner.

Lyco-White Oral Skin Supplement, $168 (without GST), for 90 capsules. Each daily dose of 3 capsules is equivalent to 80 tomatoes!


Part of this article first appeared in Jan 15, Elle Singapore.

Artikel Terkait